Monday, May 4, 2009

Trying to get over an argument with a dog

Sage and I have a special bond. Ever since I began walking her in June of 2005, our mutual affinity has just continued to grow. So imagine my horror this morning, when after she laid down on my arm as if to cradle her, she growled and jumped up when I bent to kiss her! No, I hadn't been smoking or eating, and all I'd been drinking was weak green tea, unsugared.

I'm not mad, or even hurt, but mostly confused. I know Sage loves me. Why would she reject my kisses?

I tried not to take it personally, but it was difficult. Sage asked to go outside after her initial attempt at reconciliation was rebuffed. And she stayed out there until I was ready to let her in.

So I'm torn. On the one hand, I of course want Sage to accept my gestures of affection. On the other hand, I want her to be free to express herself, and to let me know when those gestures aren't exactly welcomed.

It's not a difficult proposition -- but it means I have to stop taking it personally whenever Sage growls!

~~Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment